|02-04-2003, 10:45 AM||#1|
NetShrine All-Century Team
Join Date: Apr 2001
Phillies re-sign Burrell
1) The Phillies re-signed LF Pat Burrell to a 6 year, $50 million contract extension.
Burrell had his first big year in 2002, hitting .545 SLG, .376 OBA, .920 OPS, 44 RCAA in 157 games. He has a .857 career OPS, compared to his league average of .778, and 55 RCAA in 423 games. While normally, I don't like giving players big contracts after just a single big season, I like the odds of Burrell continuing to put up big numbers. With his combination of power and walks, plus while this was first big year, his first 2 seasons in majors were positive RCAA seasons, this could be a good gamble for the Phillies.
Burrell's 2002 season ranked 6th on the Phillies RCAA list and his OPS vs. the league average ranked 8th, among 25 year olds--
2) The Redsox re-signed INF Lou Merloni to a 1 year, $560,000 contract, which avoids salary arbitration.
Merloni kept his streak of constant negative RCAAs intact, when he hit .392 SLG, .322 OBA, .724 OPS, -3 RCAA in 84 games. He has a .713 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and -25 RCAA in 258 games.
3) The Mets re-signed P Grant Roberts to a 1 year, $310,000 contract, signed OF Prentice Redman and P Jeremy Griffiths to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training and signed 1B Mike Glavine to a minor league contract.
Roberts had a 2.20 ERA/8 RSAA in 34 games in 2002 and has a 3.58 ERA/3 RSAA in 54 career games.
Glavine is Tom's brother and is an non prospect.
4) The Dodgers re-signed P Giovanni Carrara to a 1 year contract, which avoids salary arbitration.
In his first 2 years with more than 19 games, Carrara had 3.16 ERA/7 RSAA and 3.28 ERA/5 RSAA seasons in 2001-02. He has a 5.15 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.37, and -30 RSAA in 151 games.
5) The Marlins signed P Bryan Rekar to a minor league contract.
Rekar has a 5.62 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.61, and -48 RSAA in 131 games, including a 15.43 ERA/-8 RSAA in 2 starts with the 2002 Royals.
6) The Reds signed OF Jacob Cruz to a minor league contract.
Cruz's 107 PA with the 2002 Tigers was just the 2nd time in his career that he exceeded 100 (he 166 in 2001), while his 2 RCAA set a career high. Cruz has a .717 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and -20 RCAA in 203 games.
7) The Cubs signed SS Felix Martinez to a minor league contract.
Martinez had a .577 OPS/-52 RCAA in 239 games with the Royals and Devil Rays, from 1997-2001.
8) The Rockies signed OF Luis Saturria to a minor league contract.
Saturria had a .382 OPS/-1 RCAA in 25 games (just 11 PA) with the 2000-01 Cardinals.
Creator, Complete Baseball Encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting and stat display options. The CBE has many features that are not available in online and printed sources. Has 2006 stats and daily update service for 2007.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Phillies sign Polanco||nyy26wc||Around The Majors Reports||10||02-03-2003 04:36 PM|
|Astros sign Kent||nyy26wc||Around The Majors Reports||0||12-19-2002 12:40 PM|
|Should the Braves attempt to sign Edgardo Alfonzo?||Fuzzy Bear||2002 Active Player News, Analysis, & Commentary Archives||10||12-15-2002 10:19 PM|
|Mets sign Glavine; Olerud could be next to sign||nyy26wc||Around The Majors Reports||1||12-07-2002 01:01 PM|
|Phillies sign Bell||nyy26wc||Around The Majors Reports||1||11-25-2002 10:38 AM|