|10-08-2002, 08:11 PM||#1|
NetShrine All-Century Team
Join Date: Apr 2001
Giants advance to NLCS
1) Yesterday's result--
Giants 3, Braves 1 (GIANTS WIN SERIES, 3-2)
2) Today's schedule--
Angels (Kevin Appier) at Twins (Joe Mays), 8:00
3) Yesterday's HRs--
4) The Twins ALCS rotation--Joe Mays, Rick Reed, Eric Milton, Brad Radke.
5) The Angels ALCS rotation--Kevin Appier, Ramon Ortiz, Jarrod Washburn, John Lackey.
6) The Cardinals tentative rotation for the NLCS--Matt Morris, Woody Williams, Chuck Finley, Andy Benes.
If Williams isn't able to go in Game 2, Finley and Benes would each move up a spot and Jason Simontacchi would go in Game 4. For now, the story is it's Game 2 or nothing for Williams. But, this season has shown nothing should be in stone for the Cardinals pitching rotation.
7) The Giants NL rotation--Kirk Rueter, Jason Schmidt, Livan Hernandez, Russ Ortiz.
8) Orioles P Calvin Maduro became a free agent, after he refused an assignment to the minors. Meanwhile, P Kris Foster was assigned outright to the minors, after he cleared waivers.
9) The Yankees gave the Mets permission to interview 3B coach Willie Randolph for their managerial vacancy.
According to the NY Daily News, the Mets aren't interested in Buck Showalter. The team views Showalter as "a pocket version of Bobby Valentine" and "He's too much of a control fanatic. There's too many behind-the scenes machinations."
Meanwhile, Showalter met with the Cubs on Sunday.
10) According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the A's are interested in re-signing Ray Durham, who would be a free agent. But, Durham could have to split time between 2B and DH, or could be moved to CF, if he stays with the A's and hasn't been interested in that. Durham says he's interested in testing the open market.
After -2 RCAA/.810 OPS and 5 RCAA/.804 OPS seasons, Durham hit .450 SLG, .374 OBA, .825 OPS in 150 games. He set a new career highs in OBA and OPS and his RCAA was tied for 2nd in his 8 year career. Durham has a .782 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and 41 RCAA in 1200 games.
11) A's SS Miguel Tejada told the team he'd give them a hometown discount in a contract extension. Tejada's eligible for free agency after the 2003 season and is expected to start contract talks in the next few weeks.
After 12 RCAA/.828 OPS and 8 RCAA/.801 OPS seasons, Tejada hit .508 SLG, .354 OBA, .861 OPS, 21 RCAA in 162 games.
12) The Twins dropped P Tony Fiore from the ALCS roster and replaced him with P Bob Wells.
Fiore had a 3.16 ERA/12 RSAA in 48 games (2 starts) in 2002. He was either a 30 year old rookie or, if he had used up his rookie eligibility, it wasn't by much. He had pitched in 18 games with the Devil Rays and Twins in 2000-01.
After 3.65 ERA/16 RSAA and 5.11 ERA/-4 RSAA seasons, Wells had a 5.90 ERA/-10 RSAA in 48 games. He has a 5.03 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.75, and -15 RSAA in 414 games.
13) The Diamondbacks bought out the 2003 options on Ps Rick Helling and Mike Morgan, so they will both become free agents.
According to the Arizona Republic, the team is interested in bringing Helling back, but at a salary less than the $6.5 million it would have cost if they picked up his option. After 4.48 ERA/16 RSAA and 5.17 ERA/-17 RSAA seasons, he had a 4.51 ERA/-1 RSAA in 30 starts and has a 4.72 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.61, and 6 RSAA in 231 games.
After 4.87 ERA/-2 RSAA and 4.26 ERA/2 RSAA seasons, Morgan had a 5.29 ERA/-3 RSAA in 29 games. He has a 4.23 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.09, and -36 RSAA in 597 games.
Meanwhile, the Arizona Republic reports Byung-Hyun Kim may be moved into the rotation next year.
After 4.46 ERA/2 RSAA and 2.94 ERA/18 RSAA seasons, Kim had a 2.04 ERA/23 RSAA in 72 games. He finished 9th in the NL in RSAA and has a 3.21 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.38, and 43 RSAA in 236 games.
14) According to the Rocky Mountain News, the A's and BlueJays are still interested in trading for Rockies OF Jack Cust. Both teams had been interested in him when he was still with the Diamondbacks before they traded him.
15) The Marlins outrighted P Jason Grilli to the minors.
Grilli was once a promising pitching prospect, before he had injury problems.
Creator, Complete Baseball Encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting and stat display options. The CBE has many features that are not available in online and printed sources. Has 2006 stats and daily update service for 2007.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Mid-season report: Giants||sweaver||2003 Hot Baseball Chatter Archives||7||06-29-2003 11:59 PM|
|2002 SF Giants: A 'Throwback' Team?||soxfan121||2002 Baseball History Archives||12||10-31-2002 07:36 PM|
|Angels tie series; Giants take lead||nyy26wc||Around The Majors Reports||3||10-10-2002 11:00 PM|
|ATM report--Devil Rays clinch last; Giants pass Dodgers; 1500 RBI for McGriff||nyy26wc||Around The Majors Reports||2||09-14-2002 01:29 PM|
|Giants Win The Pennant!||Max Power||2002 Baseball History Archives||7||08-13-2002 06:26 PM|