Go Back   NetShrine Discussion Forum > Main Forums > Hardball Study Hall
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
Crash Course
NetShrine Creator & Curator

Exclamation "The Team-By-Team Encyclopedia of Major League Baseball" Giveaway

Lee Sinins was very kind enough to donate a copy of "The Team-By-Team Encyclopedia of Major League Baseball" to the NDF to serve as a giveaway prize in a contest.

Here's how it will work. It's a test.

The test is 20 baseball trivia questions. The first NDF member to e-mail me with the correct answers to ALL 20 questions will win the book. Here are the questions:

1. Who was the last visiting team to play in Ebbets Field and the Polo Grounds?
2. During Spring Training in 1976, the Mets had a secret deal to trade Tom Seaver to a new team - what team was it?
3. Who was the first American League pitcher to hit a grand slam?
4. Which two big league teams have never won or lost 100 games in a season?
5. What two players hold the record for most extra-inning game-winning HRs in a season?
6. Which pitcher once walked the bases loaded in the 9th inning - and then struck out the side - in a game where he threw a no-hitter?
7. What was the best start, record-wise, by a team to start a season in their new ballpark?
8. Which expansion team holds the record for most wins during the month of April (in their debut season)?
9. Of all the players to ever hit for the cycle, who has the longest last name?
10. Fred Clarke once said it was OK if one of his players was dropped off the Monongahela Bridge - who was that player?
11. Which non-pitcher Rookie of the Year Award winner had the lowest batting average in the year he won?
12. Who was the first American League third baseman to have 25 HR, 25 SB and 100 RBI in the same season?
13. Of all the two-time batting champions, who retired with the lowest career batting average?
14. What's the major league record for most doubles in a season by a rookie - and who set the record?
15. Who holds the American League record for most consecutive errorless chances handled by a catcher?
16. What player once said "The only good thing about playing in Cleveland is you don't have to make road trips there"?
17. Which team was the first franchise to reach 3 million in road attendance during a season?
18. In what season did the Chicago White Sox, as a team, lead the American League in homers - for the first time ever?
19. Who was the first third baseman in major league history to have at least 100 RBI for 6 years in a row?
20. From what major league organization did the Angels obtain Jim Fregosi?

Send your entries to staff (at) netshrine dot com. Good luck to all, and thanks to Lee for the prize donation!

Hit Grass, Win Salad

Man, this is baseball. You gotta stop thinking. Just have fun.
- Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez, in The Sandlot

I've been going to games since August 8, 1973....and on August 22, 2004, finally, a foul ball came my way. I had to reach for it, and it deflected off the tip of my right index finger. Shoot, if I was only 4 inches taller!

Have you read The Baseball Same Game?
Old 08-16-2006, 12:22 AM   #2
Crash Course
NetShrine Creator & Curator

Since only one person was willing to try this, in a span of nearly three weeks, it must be too hard of a test.

I'll come up with someone else to try and giveaway the book soon.

Consider this contest closed. Thanks.

Hit Grass, Win Salad

Man, this is baseball. You gotta stop thinking. Just have fun.
- Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez, in The Sandlot

I've been going to games since August 8, 1973....and on August 22, 2004, finally, a foul ball came my way. I had to reach for it, and it deflected off the tip of my right index finger. Shoot, if I was only 4 inches taller!

Have you read The Baseball Same Game?
Closed Thread