|11-25-2003, 10:32 AM||#1|
NetShrine All-Century Team
Join Date: Apr 2001
Schilling trade; Spahn dies
1) The Diamondbacks have agreed to trade P Curt Schilling to the Redsox for Ps Casey Fossum and Brandon Lyon and minor leaguers OF Michael Goss and P Jorge de la Rosa. The deal is contingent on Schilling waiving his no trade clause and he says he wants a contract extension in order to do that.
Assuming this trade is completed, Fossum is then rumored to be on his way to the Brewers, as part of a package that would send Richie Sexson to the Diamondbacks.
2) Warren Spahn died yesterday, at the age of 82.
Spahn had a 3.08 career ERA, compared to his league average of 3.89, and 319 RSAA in 750 games with the 1942 and 1946-64 Braves and finished his career with the Mets and Giants in 1965. His best years were 2.10 ERA/54 RSAA in 1953 and 2.33 ERA/48 RSAA in 1947. Spahn led the NL in RSAA in 1953, tied in 1956, finished in the top 5 times and had 10 top 10 finishes. He led the league in ERA 3 times, finished in the top 5 9 times and the top 10 14 times.
Spahn ranks 8th in NL history for RSAA and ranks 5th among LHPs (NL since 1900; LHP list doesn't change if the 19th century is included)--
3) According to the Boston Glove and ESPN's Peter Gammons, Terry Francona's going to be the next Redsox manager, with both of them reporting that Schilling is more likely to sign with them with Francona as the MGR.
According to the paper, Francona's hiring is contingent on him passing a physical and the hiring could be announced next Tuesday. He had a near fatal blood clot last year and the team wants to make sure he's healthy.
4) The Angels signed free agent P Kelvim Escobar to a 3 year, $18.75 million contract.
After 3.50 ERA/19 RSAA (59 G/11 GS) and 4.27 ERA/2 RSAA (76 G/0 GS) seasons, Escobar had a 4.29 ERA/9 RSAA in 41 games (26 starts). He has a 4.58 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.68, and 21 RSAA in 301 games. Escobar's spent his entire career up to this point with the BlueJays and is being signed to be a starter.
5) Angels MGR Mike Scioscia has confirmed that the team is interested in free agent RF Vladimir Guerrero. Meanwhile, the LA Times reports the Angels appear to be losing interest in free agent LF Shannon Stewart.
6) The Redsox have been meeting with free agent P Keith Foulke.
7) The Whitesox re-signed P Jon Garland to a 1 year, $2.3 million contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After 3.69 ERA/12 RSAA and 4.58 ERA/0 RSAA seasons, Garland had a 4.51 ERA/-1 RSAA in 32 starts. He has a 4.60 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.55, and 1 RSAA in 115 games.
8) The Braves claimed OF Gary Matthews Jr. off waivers from the Padres.
After -12 RCAA/.705 OPS and 7 RCAA/.780 OPS seasons, Matthews hit .361 SLG, .314 OBA, .675 OPS, -11 RCAA in 144 games (first 41 with the Orioles). He has a .695 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and -30 RCAA in 510 games.
9) There was speculation that John Smoltz would move back into the rotation in 2004. But, Braves GM John Schuerholz says he will stay in the bullpen.
After 3.36 ERA/7 RSAA and 3.25 ERA/7 RSAA seasons, Smoltz had a 1.12 ERA/22 RSAA in 62 games. He has a 3.29 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.00, and 225 RSAA in 529 games.
10) The Diamondbacks signed free agent P Jesse Orosco to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training. He'll make $800,000 if he makes the team.
After 3.94 ERA/0 RSAA and 3.00 ERA/2 RSAA seasons, Orosco had a 7.75 ERA/-14 RSAA in 65 games with the Padres, Yankees and Twins. He has a 3.16 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.03, and 111 RSAA in a major league record 1252 games.
11) According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Phillies made an offer last week to re-sign free agent P Kevin Millwood, while they are also talking with free agent P Bartolo Colon and could be interested in trading for Javier Vazquez, Livan Hernandez, Brad Penny, Carl Pavano or Freddy Garcia.
12) According to the Baltimore Sun, a trade that would have sent Marlins 1B Derrek Lee to the Orioles fell apart yesterday, when the Orioles failed to reach an agreement on a new contract.
13) The Devil Rays signed INF Jason Maxwell, C-INF Edwards Guzman and P Dicky Gonzalez to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.
Maxwell had -14 RCAA/.624 OPS in 110 games with the 1998 Cubs and 2000-01 Twins.
Guzman has -26 RCAA/.565 OPS in 127 career games, including a .295 SLG, .263 OBA, .538 OPS, -18 RCAA in 52 games with the 2003 Expos.
Gonzalez had a 4.88 ERA/-5 RSAA in 16 games with the 2001 Mets.
14) The Marlins re-signed P Scott Sanders to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Sanders had a 4.86 ERA/-43 RSAA in 235 games with 4 teams from 1993-99.
15) The Mets met with free agent 2B Luis Castillo's agents.
Creator, Complete Baseball Encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting and stat display options. The CBE has many features that are not available in online and printed sources. Has 2006 stats and daily update service for 2007.
Last edited by nyy26wc : 11-25-2003 at 10:55 AM.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Curt Schilling - Major Priss?||Wolf Hopper||2003 Active Player News, Analysis, & Commentary Archives||12||10-14-2003 02:16 PM|
|Offseason stat package--CG||nyy26wc||Around The Majors Reports||5||12-29-2002 10:48 AM|
|Rockies-Diamondbacks trade||nyy26wc||Around The Majors Reports||1||11-20-2002 02:31 PM|
|Diamondbacks-Cubs trade; Alou hired; Rockies-Marlins trade update||nyy26wc||Around The Majors Reports||6||11-19-2002 12:19 PM|
|Should Schilling Pitch Game 4?||NetShrine||2001 Hot Baseball Chatter Archives||47||11-02-2001 12:11 PM|