NetShrine Discussion Forum  

Go Back   NetShrine Discussion Forum > NDF Archives > Defunct NDF Forums > Scrawling On The Scorecard
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
Crash Course
NetShrine Creator & Curator

Thumbs down Bud And The Boys Looked The Other Way

From: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1992029

Quote:
An FBI agent says federal investigators warned Major League Baseball about 10 years ago that some of its players were using steroids, but baseball executives failed to act on the information, the Daily News reported.

In Tuesday's editions, the Daily News reported that a special agent in Ann Arbor, Mich., told baseball security chief Kevin Hallinan that Jose Canseco and other players were using illegal anabolic steroids.

"I alerted Major League Baseball back in the time when we had a case, that Canseco was a heavy user and that they should be aware of it," Special Agent Greg Stejskal told the Daily News. "I spoke to the people in their security office, Hallinan was one of the people I spoke to."

The agent told the paper that the FBI's investigation in the 1990s centered in Michigan and dealt with weightlifters and bodybuilders, but that the probe spread to California, Florida, Canada and Mexico.

"There's very little question the use of steroids was very widespread in baseball," Stejskal told the newspaper. "And Major League Baseball, in effect, they didn't sanction it, but they certainly looked the other way."

Shame on baseball for sticking their heads in the sand on this one. Remember this next time you hear them moan about what a problem this is, etc.

Hit Grass, Win Salad

Man, this is baseball. You gotta stop thinking. Just have fun.
- Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez, in The Sandlot

I've been going to games since August 8, 1973....and on August 22, 2004, finally, a foul ball came my way. I had to reach for it, and it deflected off the tip of my right index finger. Shoot, if I was only 4 inches taller!

Have you read The Baseball Same Game?
Crash Course is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
RascalJones
NetShrine All-Century Team

10 years ago. Gee that would have put them around the time of the lockout/strike/whatever. Think that had anything to do with it? Could you imagine if a steroid scandal had hit right after that? Baseball would STILL be feeling the pain.

"The biggest thrill a ballplayer can have is when your son takes after you. That happened when my Bobby was in his championship Little League game. He really showed me something. Struck out three times. Made an error that lost the game. Parents were throwing things at our car and swearing at us as we drove off. Gosh, I was proud." -- Bob Uecker
RascalJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
SteveP
NetShrine MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Course
From: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1992029

Shame on baseball for sticking their heads in the sand on this one. Remember this next time you hear them moan about what a problem this is, etc.

FWIW, Kallinin denied that this happened...however Stejskal is, or was (don't know whether he is still active) a pretty respected guy. He was one of the leads or at least the mouth piece for the Univ. of Michigan Booster scandal.

But whether true or not, it's clear that MLB knew this and other things were going on. Like camp counselors, keep the underage kids drinking beer on the camp grounds...as long as their not found with a bottle of five star by the cops in a local park by the cops who call their parents, we're all OK.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:54 PM   #4
captain_napalm

Send a message via AIM to captain_napalm

Wouldn't be suprised if that were the case. Owners were too busy counting their loot to care.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
Crash Course

This is an interesting piece: http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...TS01/502170426

It supports the notion that Canseco was wide open on being juiced and that you would have to be blind and deaf not to realize it.

There was an interesting call on the Dan Patrick show (on ESPN Radio) yesterday around 3 pm ET. The caller said that Tony LaRussa and Sandy Alderson, because they both are lawyers, are deputies (or something like that) of the court system - and, according to the law/courts, they are bound and required to report any unlawful activity that they see - - which does not interfere with the client/lawyer relationship thing. And, if everyone knew Canseco was juiced back then, why were Tony and Sandy sitting on it? (I think we all know the answer there.)

While all this is going on, I can't help but think about a Yankees-A's game that I watched on TV around 1989. Canseco was just ripping the Yankees pitchers the whole series. And, Hawk Harrelson, the Yankee announcer, said "Right now, Canseco can do whatever he wants at the plate. It's like a man playing against small boys."

I guess we now know why this was............

Hit Grass, Win Salad

I've been going to games since August 8, 1973....and on August 22, 2004, finally, a foul ball came my way. I had to reach for it, and it deflected off the tip of my right index finger. Shoot, if I was only 4 inches taller!

Old 02-17-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
captain_napalm

Quote:
While all this is going on, I can't help but think about a Yankees-A's game that I watched on TV around 1989. Canseco was just ripping the Yankees pitchers the whole series. And, Hawk Harrelson, the Yankee announcer, said "Right now, Canseco can do whatever he wants at the plate. It's like a man playing against small boys."

I guess we now know why this was............

From what I remember of the '89 staff, just about EVERYONE was ripping Yankee pitchers.

Last edited by captain_napalm : 02-17-2005 at 11:17 AM.
captain_napalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
Crash Course

Funny, I was thinking the same thing as I was typing that. Lotta lefties on that 1989 team - each one worse than the other one.

Hit Grass, Win Salad

Old 02-18-2005, 08:49 AM   #8
KCBOOMER

You have to be kidding. If Canseco had been taking steroid IV's in the locker room the Player's Union would have defended his right to do so to the last ditch. Look how hard it was to get the steroid policy we got by the Union. They had to be pilloried by the press, the fans, and their own constituents before they agreed to the new policy. In the mid-90's it would never have happened.

Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball
KCBOOMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #9
Crash Course

Then shame (too) on the media and fans for looking the other way in the '90's when there was enough reason to question things (too) back then.

Hit Grass, Win Salad

Old 02-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #10
captain_napalm

FWIW, I've been hearing the "steroids" chant coming from the seats WRT Canseco in the late way back then.

All he would do in response was to start flexing
Old 08-05-2005, 02:19 AM   #11
cardinaldave
NetShrine Rookie Of The Year

Quote:
Then shame (too) on the media and fans for looking the other way in the '90's when there was enough reason to question things (too) back then.

How about shame on the media right now?! There's proof beating us all in the heads and they're still making excuses!
cardinaldave is offline   Reply With Quote