|10-18-2002, 11:06 AM||#1|
NetShrine All-Century Team
Join Date: Apr 2001
Mets managerial situation
1) According to the NY Daily News, either Lou Piniella or Art Howe could be named Mets manager today. The paper reports their talks with the Mariners regarding compensation for Piniella "hit a major snag yesterday," and A's GM Billy Beane says he will let Howe go, without any compensation, since (1) he wants to keep bench coach Ken Macha, who could be on the verge of being named Cubs's manager and (2) if the A's go to the postseason again next year, he'll price himself out of their range when his contract expires after the season.
The SF Chronicle is also reporting the A's are willing to let Howe go.
2) The Giants named Jason Schmidt as their starter for Game 1 of the World Series. The team hasn't announced the order for the rest of the rotation, but the speculation is it will be Kirk Rueter, Russ Ortiz and Livan Hernandez.
3) The Angels World Series rotation--Jarrod Washburn, Kevin Appier, Ramon Ortiz and John Lackey.
4) The Indians declined to pick up their $6 million option on P Jaret Wright. Wright then became a free agent when he refused an assignment to the minors.
GM Mark Shapiro says the team might still have interest in signing him to a new deal.
Wright's only pitched in 24 games over the past 3 years. He achieved the incredibly difficult feat of being tied for 5th in the AL in worst RSAA in 2002, which pitching in a mere 18 1/3 IP innings. Wright had a 15.71 ERA/-23 RSAA season in 2002 and has a 5.50 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.71, and -45 RSAA in 98 games.
5) Angels pitching coach Bud Black told the Indians he's not interested in their managerial position. Meanwhile, interim MGR Joel Skinner has seemed to emerge as the favorite to get the job.
6) Reds OF Wily Mo Pena will have surgery tomorrow to repair a torn left hamstring and is expected to need 4-6 months of rehab.
Pena, who turns 21 in January, is out of options, so must stay in the majors or go through waivers. As a September callup, he had a .389 SLG, .222 OBA, .611 OPS, -2 RCAA in his first 13 major league games (18 PA).
7) The Brewers traded minor league P Brian Mallette to the Dodgers as the player to be named later to complete the trade that sent Tyler Houston to the Dodgers.
Mallette had a 10.80 ERA/-4 RSAA in his first 5 major league games.
8) Astros C Brad Ausmus exercised his option to return to the team in 2003.
9) The Orioles signed C Izzy Molina, SS Eddy Garabito and Ps Mike Mohler, Rendy Espina, Mike Garcia and Rafael Pina to minor league contracts. They all played in the Orioles's system next season.
10) The Redsox added P Andy Shibilo to the 40 man roster. Meanwhile, 1B Calvin Pickering and P Jeff Wallace became free agents when they refused minor league assignments.
11) The Indians outrighted P Dave Elder to the minors.
Elder had a 3.13 ERA/4 RSAA in his first 15 major league games.
12) The BlueJays outrighted P Scott Cassidy to the minors.
Cassidy had a 5.73 ERA/-9 RSAA in 58 games as a 26 year old rookie.
13) Devil Rays C Paul Hoover became a free agent when he refused an assignment to the minors.
Creator, Complete Baseball Encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting and stat display options. The CBE has many features that are not available in online and printed sources. Has 2006 stats and daily update service for 2007.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|ESPN Radio NYC Theory On Mets||Wolf Hopper||2003 Hot Baseball Chatter Archives||4||07-22-2003 01:00 PM|
|Joe Torre and the fallacy of managerial labels||nyy26wc||Around The Majors Reports||13||05-03-2002 01:34 PM|
|Mets Trade Most Productive Outfielder||Duque||2002 Hot Baseball Chatter Archives||18||01-07-2002 12:36 PM|
|Mets Tampered Bonds?||Skipper Steve||2001 Hot Baseball Chatter Archives||5||11-12-2001 12:25 PM|
|Mets Exposed!||NetShrine||2001 Hot Baseball Chatter Archives||2||08-03-2001 06:26 PM|