NetShrine Discussion Forum  

Go Back   NetShrine Discussion Forum > NDF Archives > NDF's 4th Year - 2004 > Assoc. Baseball Threads From the NDF Post-Summer '04 Forum Change > June 2004 to December 2004 Baseball Threads
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2004, 12:09 PM   #1
Crash Course
NetShrine Creator & Curator

Default Another reason why.........

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...-firings_x.htm

........mixing politics and baseball can be dangerous!

Hit Grass, Win Salad

Man, this is baseball. You gotta stop thinking. Just have fun.
- Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez, in The Sandlot

I've been going to games since August 8, 1973....and on August 22, 2004, finally, a foul ball came my way. I had to reach for it, and it deflected off the tip of my right index finger. Shoot, if I was only 4 inches taller!

Have you read The Baseball Same Game?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
Crash Course
NetShrine Creator & Curator

this is interesting
http://espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/2004/0826/1868262.html

Hit Grass, Win Salad

Man, this is baseball. You gotta stop thinking. Just have fun.
- Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez, in The Sandlot

I've been going to games since August 8, 1973....and on August 22, 2004, finally, a foul ball came my way. I had to reach for it, and it deflected off the tip of my right index finger. Shoot, if I was only 4 inches taller!

Have you read The Baseball Same Game?
Old 08-26-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
mainsr
NetShrine All-Century Team

Crash, you started this...

Why exactly is it "political" to dedicate a song that's ostensibly about gays to a guy who's gay? "Political" is dedicating "Eve of Destruction" to George Bush or "Liar" (3 Dog Night version, please) to John Kerry. I can think of lots of words, like "dumb" or "insensitive" or "politically incorrect," but I don't get "political." This is like playing "Hava Nagilah" when Shawn Green steps up to the plate. It's stupid, but hey, the guy IS Jewish.

I do think that putting the message on the scoreboard was over the top. But who, I wonder, complained?

I hope we get to a point where calling an out-of-the-closet gay person gay isn't an insult. We obviously aren't there yet.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:18 PM   #4
Ytown Tribe fan

I wonder what the YMCA has to say about this. It's nice to see the Governor taking the high road.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:27 PM   #5
nyy26wc

There's also always the possibility that people could have been offended just by the fact that a politician, and therefore politics, was mentioned.

For example, twice in the past couple of months, I forgot to turn off my political sig before I sent out the ATM reports. I don't remember who the first quote was from, but since it just happened yesterday, I do remember that the second was from Al Franken.

After both incidents, I received about a dozen hate mail messages from subcribers demanding to be unsubscribed.

Creator, Complete Baseball Encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting and stat display options. The CBE has many features that are not available in online and printed sources. Has 2006 stats and daily update service for 2007.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:22 AM   #6
mainsr

Good point. That makes sense.

OK...What IS your political sig? I promise not to flame you...

PS If you ever visit www.spinsanity.com, which evaluates the fairness and accuracy of politicians, pundits, and the press, Franken is one of the very few who is generally not criticized.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:41 AM   #7
nyy26wc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainsr
OK...What IS your political sig? I promise not to flame you...

I change my political sig every day. I keep a large inventory of sigs, which I'm always adding to.

I will admit that the particular sig that appeared in yesterday's reports could be considered inflammatory. But, when I asked people if they were complaining about that, or about the fact that it was political, almost every one claimed the latter. I even had people say they agreed with the quote, but didn't want any mention of politics.

I'm sending the sig to you via email.
Quote:
PS If you ever visit www.spinsanity.com, which evaluates the fairness and accuracy of politicians, pundits, and the press, Franken is one of the very few who is generally not criticized.

Thanks for that URL.

Creator, Complete Baseball Encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting and stat display options. The CBE has many features that are not available in online and printed sources. Has 2006 stats and daily update service for 2007.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:20 AM   #8
mainsr

Before Crash gives me 15 for irrelevancy, another great one is www.lyinginponds.com, which empirically rates pundits for partisanship. Any system that says that Ann Coulter and Paul Krugman are both jerks is OK by me.