NetShrine Discussion Forum  

Go Back   NetShrine Discussion Forum > NDF Archives > NDF's 4th Year - 2004 > Current Events Clubhouse > Seventh Inning Stretch
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2004, 08:14 PM   #16
Crash Course
NetShrine Creator & Curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytown Tribe fan
Well, it's a nice story and all. And Sanchez was an exciting player. But you just missed Nettles by THIS much. He must've been off that day.

Pretty nice seats for your first-ever ballgame, though. And you got to see Thurman Munson.

Nettles was a PH in that game. Munson had a good game. Here's the story:

Quote:
Staten Island Advance
August 9, 1973

Yank old pros win one with two out in 9th
By Jim Ogle

Gene Michael has a bad foot, a sore bunion and a bandaged big toe Ö but, heís a professional; Felipe Alou packs 38 years and pulled a calf muscle in yesterdayís pre-game drill Ö but heís a real pro, too.

Thurman Munson has an inbred spirit of competition ("He even wants to beat me at ping pong." says his wife, Diane) and the instincts of a riverboat gambler Ö and he used both; Bobby Murcer is emerging from team frustration as a leader, a guy who is "bustiní his butt" everyday.

Put them together and they spell a 3-2, ninth-inning victory over the Texas Rangers yesterday. It was a rerun of what had been happening for two weeksóuntil the quartet of pros changed the script, chasing frustration and finding opportunities.

Chagrined at what he thought was a bad call on a 3-0 pitch, Murcer ripped a double to open the ninth. With one out, Munson lined a single to center that scored Murcer despite Bobby holding up a bit.

"The way things have been going with us I thought heíd make a sensational diving catch," Murcer said. "When the ball hopped up on him, I was going to make the try." Harris didnít even make a throw.

Celerino Sanchez took a called third strike and it was up to Felipe, who had driven home the first run with a long fly, but had an 0 for 23 streak going. In the streak were a lot of caught line drives, but now Felipe topped a slow roller to Toby Harrah Ė and beat it out.

Gene Michael had played a doubleheader Tuesday night and was given yesterday off -- until the eighth inning. He came up for the first time and looped a 3-1 pitch into right field, just in front of Bill Sudakis, who had made two fine catches earlier.

The ball was in short right field, Sudakis can throw but there was never a chance to cut off the winning run -- because Munson likes to take chances.

"I had a super jump because Harrah and Nelson left the middle open," Munson said. "As soon as I saw Gene start to move the bat on the 3-1 pitch I was rolling. I was already at third while Dick (Howser) was still watching the ball. I was going man, no matter what.

"No, I didnít know where the ball was. All I knew Gene had hit it and there were two out, so what could happen if I kept going. We just had to pull one out like that."

"Iím surprised we won the SOB," a weary Murcer said. "The way things have been happening to us, you have to be surprised when something good happens."

"I think Iím a better hitter with men on base," Michael said. "I concentrate more and try harder to do something. I know Iím not a good hitter, so, I try to compensate by delivering hits when they count. Iíve been doing pretty well this year."

The RBI enabled Gene to reach 40 for the first time in his career, while it was also his fifth game-winning hit, which gave the Yanks a two-game streak. Itís little, but welcome.

Fritz Peterson stood to lose the game despite making only one pitch -- which Nelson beat out for a single. Covering first, Peterson had aggravated the muscle in his thigh that he pulled last Saturday. Fritz left and Fred Beene went the rest of the way for his sixth victory without a defeat.

"In my book I pitched a complete game," Beene said. "I know it wonít be in the records, but in my mind I have pitched a complete game.

"Maybe a complete game was once one of my goals, but now Iím only concerned with Ďthe teamí and Iím just glad to be here and lucky enough to contribute."

Hit Grass, Win Salad

Man, this is baseball. You gotta stop thinking. Just have fun.
- Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez, in The Sandlot

I've been going to games since August 8, 1973....and on August 22, 2004, finally, a foul ball came my way. I had to reach for it, and it deflected off the tip of my right index finger. Shoot, if I was only 4 inches taller!

Have you read The Baseball Same Game?
Old 06-24-2004, 08:23 PM   #17
hmrsf
forum mom

Dwight Evans.

There are 100 reasons but it started when I was a kid living on dead end street. In the '70's we would play whiffel ball and each one of us would be one of the Sox. One of the older kids said I batted like Dewey. I was bow legged skinney little kid. At the time Dwight did not play all that well, but I did not know any better. I would study how he played and both of us got better as the years went by.

My parents went through a messy divorice. Keeping Sox on the radio or on the TV was like having my dad around. When ever I was down Dewey always came through with the big hit or great catch! Dependable Dewey always came through and never let you down.

He will always have a special spot in my heart. He is a HOF to me.

Get a coaster! My cup is not only 1/2 full it is brimming!

We don't need no stinking Arods!
Old 06-24-2004, 09:33 PM   #18
Ytown Tribe fan

That is a wonderful story, hmrsf. Maybe you can catch up to Dewey at the AAA All-Star Game in Pawtucket on July 12th and tell him in person. He'll be there with a bunch of stars and I'm sure he'll be signing autographs and such.

He is a big-time HoFer and those yahoos who vote should realize it pretty soon!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:25 PM   #19
Joseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrsf
Why the Big Q?

I thought first baseman's gloves looked really cool so I took up the position, Carlos was the 1b for the sox so I looked to him to see how to play first. I was also a big Ellis Burks fan.

you should definatly go see Evans at the all-star game!