View Full Version : Deadline trades
07-30-2004, 06:15 PM
The Dodgers trade C Paul Lo Duca, RF Juan Encarnacion and P Guillermo Mota to the Marlins for P Brad Penny, 1B Hee Seop Choi and minor league P Bill Murphy.
Gammons says the Dodgers are trying to package Penny and prospects for Randy Johnson and Johnson says he'll consider accepting the deal.
07-30-2004, 07:23 PM
3 more deals--
1) A 3 way trade--
The Mets get P Kris Benson and minor league 2B Jeff Keppinger from the Pirates
The Pirates get 3B Ty Wigginton and minor league P Matt Peterson from the Mets and minor league 3B Jose Bautista from the Royals.
The Royals get minor league C Justin Haber from the Mets.
2) The Devil Rays traded P Victor Zambrano and minor league P Batolome Fortunado to the Mets for minor league Ps Scott Kazmir and Jose Diaz.
3) The Rangers traded 1B Brad Fullmer to the Padres for a player to be named later.
07-30-2004, 08:32 PM
I'm shocked that the Mets gave up Kazmir - esp. for Zambrano. Mets fans must be going nuts.
The Dodger deal is interesting - seems like they gave up a lot. I like Paul D. I guess he knows what he is doing.
Marlins? Pavano is a FA, no? Who's going to be left for them to start games in 2005?
07-30-2004, 11:14 PM
As I said in the Johnson post, the Dodgers should clearly be considered the faves for Johnson. I just find it incomprehensible that they would give up Mota as part of any package unless a superstar is on the way.
If they get anybody other than Johnson, DePodesta just made one of the worst trades in history.
07-31-2004, 12:03 AM
The Fullmer trade fell through because Brad wasn't ready to come off the DL. Instead, the Padres got Dave Hanen from Seattle for Jon Huber.
07-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Now knowing that LoDuca can be a FA, I'm thinking maybe LA didn't get ripped as bad as we think.
07-31-2004, 12:46 PM
The Kazmir / Zambrano deal seems fine to me, I like any major league Zambrano.
I can't figure the Benson deal though unless the Mets feel Benson will be the tipping point to get to the playoffs (which I doubt they can do).
If Benson won't get them to the playoffs they could have just waited until after the season and signed him as a free agent without giving up the players they did.
I also hope the Mets have an 'undercover' agreement with Benson to sign because if he doesn't sign with them Peterson and Huber is a big stake to give up.
07-31-2004, 01:32 PM
Supposedly, Benson and Glavine have the same agent and Glavine's been selling NY to him.
07-31-2004, 04:26 PM
Not much has happened--
1) ESPN's Jayson Stark is reporting that Steve Finley has agreed to waive his no trade clause and go to the Dodgers. But, I have no idea what the rest of that trade is.
2) The Padres traded P Ismael Valdez to the Marlins for a minor leaguer (Sportsline.com doesn't give the name).
3) The Royals traded P Rudy Seanez to the Marlins for OF Abraham Nunez.
07-31-2004, 04:48 PM
1) The Redsox traded SS Nomar Garciaparra to the Cubs for ????????????
2) The Yankees traded P Jose Contreras and cash to the Whitesox for P Esteban Loaiza.
3) The Dodgers traded P Tom Martin and cash to the Braves for a minor leaguer.
07-31-2004, 04:52 PM
Here's the details on the Garciaparra trade--
The Redsox trade Garciaparra to the Cubs
The Expos trade SS Orlando Cabrera to the Redsox.
The Cubs trade SS Alex Gonzalez to the Expos.
How stupid can the Redsox be?
07-31-2004, 06:12 PM
Sox got Minky too. Let's do a new thread on the Sox trade.
vBulletin v3.5.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.