PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old baseball cards?

WiredTiger
01-20-2004, 09:17 AM
I have a closet full of mid to late 1980 baseball cards that are just sitting there. Any suggestions on the best way to get rid of them. I hate to toss them but anything past about 1984 doesn't have a ton of value.

Wolf Hopper
01-20-2004, 11:06 AM
eBay, my friend, eBay...........

WiredTiger
01-20-2004, 11:24 AM
eBay, my friend, eBay........... I pulled out some of the more valuable ones and have put them up there but I have stuff like 2000 1990 donruss common cards. I guess I may just have to put it up as a lot and see if anyone bites.

Craig S.
01-20-2004, 11:36 AM
I pulled out some of the more valuable ones and have put them up there but I have stuff like 2000 1990 donruss common cards. I guess I may just have to put it up as a lot and see if anyone bites.

As someone with a big pile of those same 1990 Donruss cards, I'd recommend that you just dump them for whatever you can get. Anything above covering your shipping costs should be a bonus - that was a horrible case of overproduction.

sweaver
01-20-2004, 11:53 AM
I haven't had much success even selling 1987 Topps McGwires and Bonds's. Might do better at a local card shop.

Craig S.
01-20-2004, 11:56 AM
I find that Ebay can be a tough market for "older" cards. Seems like the stuff that sells best is that of rookies or guys who are hot - like Tom Brady right now, or Torry Holt earlier this season.

My guess is that baseball cards would attract more attention and money in-season.

gyb13
01-20-2004, 12:14 PM
you can give them to me :D

WiredTiger
01-20-2004, 12:15 PM
you can give them to me :D gyb.... I wouldn't say that too loud. There are a lot cards that if someone paid the postage I would send them out tommorrow. :D

gyb13
01-20-2004, 12:16 PM
it's a deal...email me if you decide to resort to this

Gosfgiants
01-20-2004, 12:19 PM
You could always put it up as one big lot and have the buyer pay the shipping. I bet someone would bid on it.

Jim Rice
01-20-2004, 05:36 PM
I am in the same boat, having agreed to sell a friend's collection of really bad baseball cards. The complete, factory-sealed 1992 Score set, for example. Whoopee! There's just no market. I've culled out the good ones, both sets and individual cards, and sold them off on eBay. I'm now left with about 10,000 really crappy baseball cards. Since I can't imagine anyone agreeing to spend the $20 shipping charge to mail these in bulk to Portland, Oregon or Mobile, Alabama, I'll probably forego eBay and just walk into a local shop and take their best offer.

Skip
01-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Top ten things to do with a zillion worthless baseball cards

10. Build a poker deck using 13 favorite players. How fun would it be to slap down your hand and say “Full House, A-Rods over Piazzas”.

9. Sneak over to the playground and put as many as you can on every wheel of every bike. Then stand on your porch like a crotchety old fart and yell “Cut out that racket” when the kids ride by.

8. Wallpaper.

7. Start a ‘Pettitte of the Month Club’ and give Steinbrenner a gift membership.

6. Put a Rollie Fingers mustache on all the Nomars and mail them to Mia.

5. Replace all instances of the text “Ken Griffey, Jr.” with Joe Shlabotnik.

4. Mail all the 1994 cards to Bud with a big Thank You note. Mail him a letter the next day explaining the sarcasm.

3. Coasters.

2. Give them collectively as a ‘starter collection’ to a child whose parents you dislike.

1. Stick ‘em back in the attic for 20 more years.

gyb13
01-20-2004, 07:11 PM
10. Build a poker deck using 13 favorite players. How fun would it be to slap down your hand and say “Full House, A-Rods over Piazzas”.remember, these are cards they're trying to get rid off.

It'd be more like

I've got Jamie Quirks full of Kevin Maas's

hmrsf
01-20-2004, 07:24 PM
I have 10 rubbermaid tubs of worthless cards and programs and newspaper clippings and cups and pennants and as my husband puts it........70's and 80's baseball junk.

I do have a Yaz painters cap that I still sport around the house. :cool: Most of my cards are in Albums or in the box. Do any of you have the biggie cards, or the caps. I still break out the boxes and spend an afternoon playing with this stuff.

I can't part with it. None of it and never will. :cool:

Wolf Hopper
01-20-2004, 09:57 PM
You could always put it up as one big lot and have the buyer pay the shipping. I bet someone would bid on it.

That's what I as thinking. Someone might bite.

Wolf Hopper
01-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Wallpaper..

Don't laugh - I was thinking about something on those lines too.

Like, go to an unfinished furniture store, and get a plan chest of some kind, glue the cards to it, every square inch, and then cover it with a clear, hard, finish.

Makes a nice toy chest idea for a kid - or, something to sell at a flea market - or something like that.

tyruschen
01-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Makes a nice toy chest idea for a kid - or, something to sell at a flea market - or something like that.
Be sure that you make it carefully. Some cards' sharp corners may hurt.

Craig S.
01-20-2004, 10:30 PM
I probably have at least 50,000 commons from all sports that are just wasting space. I eventually stopped buying packs completely so I could avoid having junk taking up space.

tyruschen
01-20-2004, 10:42 PM
I probably have at least 50,000 commons from all sports that are just wasting space. I eventually stopped buying packs completely so I could avoid having junk taking up space.
What do you call 50,000 commons at the bottem of the sea? :p

TimmyB
01-20-2004, 10:52 PM
What do you call 50,000 commons at the bottem of the sea? :p

Answer: What Topps did with a lot of their excess unsold cards back in the (IIRC) late '60s.

jzmet
01-21-2004, 12:13 AM
I have a closet full of mid to late 1980 baseball cards that are just sitting there. Any suggestions on the best way to get rid of them. I hate to toss them but anything past about 1984 doesn't have a ton of value.

Interesting that you brought this up because just last week I got rid of 30,000 commons from 1978-1994 in a unique and satisfying way. I contacted a friend at Children's Hospital here in San Diego and donated them. They were so grateful to receive them; the kids love them. And, since commons have a book value, I get a charitable donation to use against taxes for about $3,000!
Just call a local hospital with a large pediatric ward and talk to the admitting office; they'll know what to do.

gyb13
01-21-2004, 12:14 AM
i like that idea! give the cards to the kids :thumb:

WiredTiger
01-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Interesting that you brought this up because just last week I got rid of 30,000 commons from 1978-1994 in a unique and satisfying way. I contacted a friend at Children's Hospital here in San Diego and donated them. They were so grateful to receive them; the kids love them. And, since commons have a book value, I get a charitable donation to use against taxes for about $3,000!
Just call a local hospital with a large pediatric ward and talk to the admitting office; they'll know what to do.That might be a winner of an idea. I will look into that.

WiredTiger
01-21-2004, 08:33 AM
Answer: What Topps did with a lot of their excess unsold cards back in the (IIRC) late '60s. Supply and demand. The 60s cards are so valuable because no one kept them and no one kept them in good shape. The 90s cards are useless because everyone kept them in binders, etc.

Craig S.
01-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Supply and demand. The 60s cards are so valuable because no one kept them and no one kept them in good shape. The 90s cards are useless because everyone kept them in binders, etc.

They also overproduced most of those '90s sets in a big way. There are exceptions, like the 1990 Leaf of some early-90s Bowman. But most of the late-80s, early-90s stuff was too easy to get. Not to mention that they have some of the worst designs I've ever seen!

Skip
01-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Y'all are scaring me. I'm shocked, SHOCKED I SAY, to discover so many nerdy dweeb types frequenting the NDF! Next thing I'll discover is people spending all their kids' college money on CDs. :p

TimmyB
01-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Y'all are scaring me. I'm shocked, SHOCKED I SAY, to discover so many nerdy dweeb types frequenting the NDF! Next thing I'll discover is people spending all their kids' college money on CDs. :p

Buying all those CDs in the early/mid 90s was the only thing that kept me from blowing all my money on those over-produced baseball cards. :D

Joseph
01-24-2004, 03:12 AM

When I was a little kid I loved baseball, but wasn't the least bit interested in collecting baseball cards. A close family friend gave me all of his old baseball cards that he couldn't sell to a card shop. Even though I didn't care about collecting the cards it was one of the best gifts I've ever been given, I would spend hours reading player's stats, bios, and history and trivia printed on the back of the cards. I would even do things like hold player drafts and play games with the cards (thats how I learned to keep score).

If you know a kid with an interest in baseball consider donating the cards to them and getting them hooked on baseball.

OaktownTribeFan
01-24-2004, 08:48 AM
I just stick 'em in my bicycle spokes. Can't get enough of that flapping sound. :D

Rajah
01-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Save em for your kids and grandkids.

hmrsf
01-25-2004, 09:01 AM
If you know a kid with an interest in baseball consider donating the cards to them and getting them hooked on baseball.

This is so true!!

When I was going to college I lived in this low income family housing not too far from the school. There were lots of neighborhood kids with very sad family situations. My daughter and I would break out the cards and we would spend hours with our neighbors.

It is a great way to learn the game. You never know the impact you can have on a child just by doing the little things.

WiredTiger
02-10-2004, 05:10 PM
My nephews were a lot more interested in the Star Wars cards I had!!! I sold some on ebay and I am looking for a place in michigan that takes donations.

deadguy
02-10-2004, 06:06 PM
My nephews were a lot more interested in the Star Wars cards I had!!! I sold some on ebay and I am looking for a place in michigan that takes donations.

Having just rescued my childhood (in the form of a lot of 1978 Bob Stinsons) from my parents' house, I found that I got a marvelous amount of satisfaction from just sitting down with friends and going through the stacks, playing "Remember him?" and "Good God, Phil Plantier."

That being said, the donation of the cards to a children's hospital sounds like a wonderful idea, and one that I'm probably going to take advantage of.